Tuesday, April 9, 2013

French Provincial Desk to Table



I picked up this little table last year and tucked it away until I had some free time to work on it.  This picture is from the original online ad.    

I think it was a corner desk, but it just seemed like such an awkward size that I decided to convert it into a small side table.

I started by tossing the top and then removing the legs and cutting them down a few inches.  I also removed the back (someone had previously cut a portion out of it already) and shortened the sides so it wasn’t quite as long.   

I built a new top the same way I did on this little dresser.  I couldn't trim it out the same way though, but still wanted to add a little something to the edges, so I decided it was time to teach myself how to use our router.  The router has always made me a little nervous, but after reading a number of how-to articles and watching a few YouTube  videos, I knew I could do it.  It was actually a LOT easier than I thought!  I chose to use a Roman Ogee bit for the decorative profile and decided to router the bottom edge instead of the top.  
  


I finished it with a couple coats of a dark stain followed with a few coats of glossy polyurethane.



I set the top aside and started working on the table base.  After adding a couple new supports to the back and reattaching the shorter legs, it got a coat of primer, a couple coats of soft creamy white paint, some light distressing and was finished with a glossy clear coat.











I had wanted to try something a little different and painted the drawer front with a soft green diy chalk paint.  It didn’t look anything like I’d envisioned though!  SO, I sanded it off, primed it, and painted it the same creamy white as the rest of the table.  To finish it off, I replaced the original hardware with two new glass drawer pulls for a little sparkle.





This little side table is almost ready for a new home and will be available in my shop shortly .

Thanks for stopping by!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or comments? I'd love to hear them!