Thursday, August 23, 2012

French Provincial Side Table



I picked up this cute little side table a few months ago.  The picture in the ad didn’t look too bad and the price was decent, so I thought I’d take a look.  


It definitely needed some TLC.  The current finish was a bit rough and while you can't see it in the picture, it had some serious water damage along the top. 

After a LOT of sanding, a few coats of wood filler and then even more sanding, I sprayed on a coat of primer.  I quickly realized that the top was going to still need some more attention.  I forgot to take pictures, but lets just say that the previous wounds I thought I’d taken care of decided to stay visible!  More sanding and wood filler would be required!

After the primer was finally finished, it was time to paint.  At first I thought I would go with my predictable white.  It would be simple, clean, and white seems to sell quickly.  BUT, I couldn’t do it.  I was craving color again!  I had some leftover light turquoise paint from my coffee table project and thought I’d give that a try.   



I liked it, but wanted to take it a step further and give it some depth, so I decided to lightly glaze it with a custom mix chocolate color glaze.  I loved it!

 
I knew I wanted the top a different color.  Because the top was not solid wood, staining it wasn’t an option, so instead I painted it a beautiful rich espresso brown



I felt the existing hardware suited the piece, so I just updated it with a fresh coat of Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.

 
I’m happy with the way this piece turned out.











This piece has already been sold!

Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or comments? I'd love to hear them!